The love in Big dreams

I Love the field in Detroit. I love planting gardens. I walk around my favorite neighborhood near my church and pray. I hear and see other people's dreams and mine seem... Small.

I like standing in the back and watching the things that God asked me to do come to life. I like to help others make their God visions happen.

Once my friend Jon had an idea for our winter retreat. It seemed crazy and (ALMOST) impossible. It meant my friend and I went to 9 different targets at least once to every one but sometimes it was 2 or 3 times. It was amazing, and because of my silly love of finding a deal and doing anything for God even if it means going to target (that is not a sacrifice!!!!). I always fashioned myself as a dream helper but not a dreamer. 

I'm a single mom who honestly doesn't take many risks.

And then at one point about two years ago, I started to believing that I could dream dreams and that God had more than just tasks for me. The point came when some friends offered to buy my car so I could move to Haiti. (Really this happened!) and so because I had friends who believed in helping me to live out my dreams and the desires of my heart, I hooked on tightly to God. Where do You want me to go? What do You want me to do?

My dream is to be the director of a community center. And while that seems INSANE to me, I believe God can do anything and He wonderfully created me, and so He placed those desires in my heart so He already knows. He knows about the things that frighten me, He knows the things I'm great at, and the ones that I need help with. He will send people. He knows that I believe His word when He says be faithful in small things so I can trust you with much. He knows that sometimes I'm really brave because I trust Him and sometimes I'm still that very small child that believes that everyone leaves (like my momma who died).

He asked me to plant a garden last year. I did research, I raised money, I recruited help, and a garden was built. And it fed people, physically and spiritually. It was crazy and glorious!!! Maybe it doesn't seem like a community center sized dream, but it sure did to me!

Last fall He asked me to clear a lot. What?!? First of all it was a daunting task. But you know what? God sent me people to help me.  People that showed up. And I had no idea what God had/has planned. 

I now dream of a soccer field. I dream of planting a second garden.   I walk by the field and even on cold snowy January days I see green grass, I smell the flowers of spring, I hear laughter and screaming of kids!

When I think about the way God is making the craziest of things happen in my life, my dreams feel bigger than the ocean and higher than the sky. The families affected will have full hearts and bellies. 

God is funny sometimes.

And man, He loves me.

Comments