The princesses

A couple weeks ago I saw a woman standing on the corner of livernois and  75. Clearly she had some kind of issue with drugs and dressed like a prostitute. It was sad. As I drove on, my heart was saddened. How do I do something? Street ministry is not my "thing". 

We will just call her "princess". 

Then last week as I drove up to dragoon to turn left to drive to church "princess" was sitting on a crate, not
Really paying attention that anyone was there and she was scratching herself in some undesirable places. Again it saddened my heart. And once she realized I was there she started making sad faces and but I didn't have anything for her. I don't give money because I don't want to be responsible for their next overdose. When she realized I was going to give her money she became vulgar and yelling. Again I just thought "what is it that i can do?"

A couple of days ago I was listening to 105.1 about sports (I don't always know how that happens) but somehow the story changed to the raffling off of a 20 year old virgin. The radio people thought it was HIL-arious, I... Did not. I kept listening waiting for someone to say "April fools" on the last day of September.  This time I wasn't saddened, I was sickened. Well, I was sad too.

What is the difference between that 20 year old selling herself and the princess? Both selling their precious bodies and souls for money.

The thing is that both of the women are loved by God. Made in His image just like you and I. They are somebody's daughter, maybe sister, and friends. One bad choice away from a life they wouldn't recognize or not one they dreamed of.

What's my role in this? What did God call ME to do? Because writing a blog post isn't enough. I've been praying about it. The 20 year old virgin, not sure I can do anything, but Princess? She's the daughter of a King but she doesn't know, or believe it. Maybe nobody told her, or treated her like royalty.  How do I help Princess realize her beauty? How do I tell her? I'm not one of those awesome street ministry people. I'm just a baking, cleaning, ex-youth admin. I really don't know, but I'm going to start small. Maybe a new shirt, or some snacks, all with notes, I'm starting with small smiles and notes. 

These women are beautiful, loved, chosen, and valuable. 

Love. Everyone needs love. 

Princess, your Father King loves you. And I hope that He allows His servant to tell you all about it.

Now that I have seen, I am responsible.

Comments

Lynette Jacobs said…
I hear you...we work with a lot of these people in our ministry...and until they decide that they want to come clean there is nothing you can do for them. Sadly the choices they make have consequences. We can pray and trust. We are not responsible for them...we are responsible to them. Read the book "Smacked" by Melinda Ferguson...it gives you remarkable insight into the psyche of an addict and how addiction will ultimately lead to prostitution.