Lessons in Football Tickets


Image Credit  from here

I have been toying with buying season tickets to the Detroit Lions.  If you are wondering “does she like the Lions that much?”…  why yes, yes I do.  I really love football, professional football.  I have tried to do a lot of justifying to buy them…  it’s “my” money…  I work hard for it…  I can sell some of them to offset the costs…  

Isn’t that how it is when we want something, we start justifying it?  Well maybe just me.
Let me say this to you, if you have season passes to any event, I am not judging you.  I think it’s great! I wish I did.  I do.  I could sit on the couch and watch football ALL day on a Sunday if I let myself.

But then I think about what I could do with that money…  what $2100 could accomplish and I say “no thank you”.

And it’s not easy for me if you really must know.  But my house needs new windows, and a new roof, and a new furnace, and I’d like to move…  Or I really could feed the people at MBK (My Brother’s Keeper) once a month some really great meals for $2000.  Imagine what I could do with $2000 working on a community garden.  

I know that THE MOMENT I start to justify something that I want, it’s time to turn down my “wanter”.  I am working on my budget and paying things off.  

I ask the question…  Proposed by Andy Stanley…  Is this a wise decision based on my past experiences, my current circumstances, and my future hopes and dreams?

It’s not the right time, and maybe someday it will be the right time or maybe it never will be, but I know right now, the answer is “No”.  And whether I like it or not, that’s the answer I am going with.

It's funny, I feel like I've been kind of quiet lately, I do a lot more praying about situations, a lot more listening, and I feel a whole lot more peace.  And in this time, I feel like my heart is being stretched, my faith being strengthened... and it's pretty great (but not always easy).

Proverbs 31:10-31
A wife of noble character who can find?
    She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her

    and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
    all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
    and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
    bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still night;
    she provides food for her family
    and portions for her female servants.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
    out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
    her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
    and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
    and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
    and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
    for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
    she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
    where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
    and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
    she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
    and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
    and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
    her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
    but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
    but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
    and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

Comments