It's not easy... but it's worth it



This is kind of shameful.

Since I was a young girl I have been on 1000s of diets.  I would hate to know how much weight I’ve lost (and gained over the years).

I was at my highest weight ever.  So high that I didn’t add those 2 extra pounds into myfitnesspal (and I am the only one who can see it)!

I decided that this will be the year I change my life.  I set (and registered) a goal of running the half marathon on Detroit this year. THe truth is that I could not run at the weight that I didn’t even want to admit to myself.  So I decided that in the next three years my goal is to lose 60 lbs.  20 pounds a year.  Yes I’d like to lose all 60 in one year but that’s a lot of pressure, and I want to make changes in my lifestyle that I can do MY WHOLE LIFE!  

I don’t drink soda (or pop) so I can’t take off those pounds.  

I don’t really eat bread…

I like dessert but it’s not my weakness.

The truth is I am an emotional eater. Happy, sad, grumpy, glad… I eat.

And that is a heart issue.
from here

It’s not just the number on the scale that needed to change, it was the way I deal with whatever life throws at me.  And that’s a lot harder than it always seems.  If I hate what I am doing, I will grab something to enjoy while I am completing tasks I don’t like.

Also, I work at a desk.  And I don’t get moving as much as I should.

Insert a fitbit in my life.  I tried buying the Pivotal Living cheap version (let’s just say I got what I paid for it).

I realized how much I DON’T MOVE.

So I decided I would start “easy” and just work on getting 10,000 steps in.  I must say, I have hit that goal EVERY SINGLE DAY!  It means I do planning on days when I know it won’t be easy, and sometimes I walk in the dark of night, and the bitter cold.  But I did it.

In the past, I would have done a hard change. 

Limit EVERYTHING and start exercising at a pace that I could never keep up with long term.
Insert the saying “I have to do this my whole life”

It’s not like I don’t know what to do… It’s not like I don’t know HOW to make good choices… 
I knew that this was time when the knowledge must be put to practical use.

Insert a promise I made myself. You will do this, because you are worth it.  I will take good care of myself.

I set goals for myself.

Lose 7 pounds (which changed to 10) before I left for Haiti

10 pounds more by 4 days

It has seemed really slow. Because let’s face it, when you do a hard change like only eating eggs, chicken, and veggies at low quantities and working out 1-2 hours a day the pounds MELT off.

There have been moments when I’ve wanted to give up. There are moments that I would like to walk to the vending machine at work when things aren’t going my way… instead I walk to the stairs, and walk for 5-10 minutes.

I plan like crazy.

I bring lots of snacks I love to make sure I don’t get to the point of starving…  These include:  grapes, grape tomatoes, celery (sometimes with Organic natural peanut butter), Netta’s famous (it’s famous to me!) popocorn, apples (sometimes with PB), grapefruit… 

80% of the time I pack my lunch at work

80% of the time I cook dinner (or eat leftovers)

95% of the time I make my own breakfast

I have to admit to you (I don’t feel guilty about this)… I’ve eaten at Roma’s, Johnny Carino’s, pizza, Red Robin, and even in Mexican Town….  but I ALWAYS plan my whole day when I eat those things.

It’s not practical to think I won’t ever eat out, or that I won’t want a big juicy burger on a gfree bun, but it is practical to plan out my day.

I also don’t have a cheat day, I have a cheat meal (and sometimes I have MORE THAN ONE IN A WEEK).  I track everything, even when I don’t want to admit I ate it. But so far in over a month, I’ve only had one day that I went over my calories for the day.

I know that 10 pounds doesn’t seem like much, but it’s better than keeping it LOL

The truth is I want God to use me my WHOLE life, and if I don’t do all I can to be healthy, that might not be very long…

Also, my momma never met her beautiful granddaughter, and I’d like to meet mine… I’d like to run and jump, and play, and enjoy them.

I am on the right track… to do this my whole life…

Because I made myself a promise…  to take good care of myself.

Comments