No more fear

I've been reading Rob Lowe's book "Love Story" mostly because I loved his  book "stories I only tell my friends". I am not one for fiction books, though my very favorite fiction book is called "the art of racing in the rain" and if you haven't read it I'd suggest you do. Most of the time I read Books by Christian authors that challenge me and help me to grow.

In Rob's book his son goes off to college and he's scared and he tells his dad so. He says everyone else looks calm and like they are having fun and Rob says to his son:  "Never compare someone's outsides to your insides"

Wow isn't that great?!? I mean coming from someone who is almost always scared, and maybe you know that and maybe you don't, it was like "whoa"

The past few days have been filled with lots of lessons that's for sure!!! And I'm thankful for so much! One thing I'm really grateful for is that I live in the USA!!! When I got to haiti i love it there so much I can never figure out why they want to leave (I mean I know why), but coming here I keep thinking no wonder why people come to the USA.  Say what you will, I love it!!

I rarely am afraid when I go to a different country, most of the time they speak English and kind and helpful but this trip to Germany was quite an eye opener.  One thing is that I look for people who look friendly when I have to ask a question. I have even thought when people asked me something in the US "what do I look like information?" But really maybe they just needed help and I looked friendly.  That my friends, is a blessing to be able to help someone.  I want that, I want to look loving and friendly. After all, isn't kindness a fruit of the spirit? In this case wouldn't i want my outsides to match my insides.

Don't I always want to be known as kind? Giving? Loving? Don't I want to be a beacon in a place that's dark and maybe filled with fear? Sometimes in my own life I've found when I'm upset (like crazy upset) a question I ask myself is "what are you afraid of?" And in that fear, what's the worst that could happen? And can you control it? 

I've found that others have the same thing deep in them. And sometimes I ask them those very same questions. Fear is an awful breeding ground for ugly. And I don't want to be ugly. I want to be light and that means I must stay close to Jesus and carry my fruit and give it away, wherever I go.

If someone is near me, I never want them to experience some of what I've experienced over the last few days. I want them to see hope, love, joy, and kindness.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. (Galatians 5:22-23 NIV)

Comments