Church visitation and waiting!



Today I went and visited New Providence BaptistChurch in Detroit.  I’ve driven by it FOR YEARS and have always wanted to visit.  The buckets were going to go, but we got redirected and helped with Life Remodeled and we ended up exactly where God needed us to be that day.  I’ve been wanting to go, however, the timing hasn’t been right (I was in HAITI!!) so I was able to go today!
I was totally nervous.  I will say that the stereotype of churches in Detroit, big Baptist ones, is that they go DRESSED for church, they typically don’t tend to be “come as you are”. I did check their website and it said I could wear anything I wanted. I changed my outfit 3 times.  First I had a dress, but I wasn’t comfortable and I thought going somewhere for the first time, I wanted to be in something I felt comfortable in…  finally settling on my favorite pair of pants, really awesome shoes, and a black sweater.  

Ok, now that we have my outfit all squared away…  

I pulled up and it seemed HUGE!  It used to be a Kmart, what is it with me and old store buildings??  Anyway, three doors… I felt like it was “let’s make a deal” thankfully I picked the right one that lead me into a beautiful building, but being in a new place, I wasn’t going to go exploring, just finding the sanctuary and finding a seat, I was kind of early on purpose because I wanted to be able to pick my seat.  If you know me, you know that I hate sitting in the middle, so I picked an end seat, towards the middle, so I could follow whatever I needed to do…  Always planning.  That’s me…

So…  then the service started, and before I get to all that, let me tell you, the Holy Spirit felt THICK.  Once I stepped in the place, I was overwhelmed with joy.  It felt so good to be there, it was a crazy God confidence, like God was holding my hand.  

Ok so the service started, not with music but LOUD EXHALTATIONS to praise God.  It was awesome!  I loved that there was so much joy in all that God has done!  Then they started singing, and it was awesome!!  The choir was so great!!  Couldn’t help but clap and sing, and sing praise to the King, and so excited when they sang “You are good”!!!  

They also read the worship scripture 

Isaiah 12:1-6

12 In that day you will say:

“I will praise you, Lord.
    Although you were angry with me,
your anger has turned away
    and you have comforted me.
Surely God is my salvation;
    I will trust and not be afraid.
The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense[a];
    he has become my salvation.”
With joy you will draw water
    from the wells of salvation.

In that day you will say:

“Give praise to the Lord, proclaim his name;
    make known among the nations what he has done,
    and proclaim that his name is exalted.
Sing to the Lord, for he has done glorious things;
    let this be known to all the world.
Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion,
    for great is the Holy One of Israel among you.”

I was loving every moment of the service.

Then it happened…

You’ve got to wait

THAT WAS THE NAME OF THE TEACHING!

Now, are you kidding me!!  I actually laughed out loud.

It’s a season of quiet, at least for a little while.  And I am someone who has achieved by the grace of God and working hard.  Want something… go get it…  and now I have to wait… 

Psalm 40:1-3 (KJV)

I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.
And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.

I’d like you to please note the beating in the KJV translation.  I will tell  you that I don’t normally read that version, but today, it seemed a little more beautiful than any other time I read it.

He broke down the scripture by verse. 

V1.  Resolve – I will wait

V2.  Reward/Rescue

V3.  Reaction/Reverence of God

It’s funny because in my bible I had written ‘Rescue’ in the margins by these verses. 

Psalm 40:1  I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.

Waiting is trusting God. It’s growing my faith.  We shouldn’t be bitter or sassy or try to get ahead of 
God, we must wait.  While I am waiting  I need to

Stay!
In Prayer
Faithful
Holy
Righteous
Diligent

During this time of waiting, we might need to get right with God!  His arm is not too short to rescue us!  Things might not be happening because we need to get right with God. 
This was so encouraging to me.  It reminded me to be patient, and snuggle up under His wings.  Waiting and staying close.  Speak with Him, and LISTENING!!

Psalm 40:2 He brought me up also out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

As He does the work in this time (in us) there is liberation (freedom/deliverance) out of a dark place.   
The pastor asked “why do you want to go back after He sets you free?”

What a thought provoking question!  It’s true!  Why would I want to go back after God has brought me so far!  I think that question my stick with me the rest of my life!!!

I WANT TO BE FREE!!!!!  AND FREE I AM!!!

In His rescue, in addition to liberation(John 8:36), there is elevation (Matt 23:12), and invigoration.   

He elevates us above sorrow, heart-brokeness, slim, and nastiness.

We (I) should be excited about what God is doing in our lives (even in the waiting time).

Psalm 40:3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.

After he changes our lives, we need to sing a new song!  Others need to hear about what a glorious God He is, what He has rescued us from!  They will see that we have a changed life, because of Him, and want that too!  Our testimony will show others how great He is and bring them closer to Him.

It was such a great message and these were just my notes, and I hope that if you are waiting for something that they speak to your heart, it has changed my view on waiting! 

I will wait joyfully.

I am so thankful that I was able to go and hear God! The whole sermon was FULL of scripture, I loved it!!  I am so thankful to be one of God’s chosen!  To be loved and for Him to love me so much to always rescue me out of the pits I get myself into, and also to continue to work in my life to change me!

Comments