What an amazing week!!

I've met a lot of amazing people here this week! 

So I love this neighborhood, though it might be possible that I have a false sense of security here this week ;)

I've been thinking about how hard it must be to take care of these houses. Sure, they are pretty inexpensive to buy, so even if someone could afford to buy them, if they were living on a fixed income it might be hard to fix them up or take care of the upkeep. 

So let's say you're someone living in one of these houses making $18 per hour (which equates to about $36k per year) that's really not that much. Before taxes that's $3000 per month, estimated $2000 per month after taxes. House payment even if it's only $500/month, food, utilities, phone bill, car, gasoline... It wouldn't take much to burn through that. And now you've got to put money aside to "someday" put on roof. Which by the way most people haven't been taught to put away for someday because they've been living hand to mouth their whole lives. And they need to take care of things now.

And that's where people who carry Jesus with them, step in. Bill hybel says "excellence honors God and inspires people" and I'll tell you, it's done just that. This community (not all of it but a lot of it) has gotten out with the volunteers and stepped alongside, we have served each other.  I have a friend I've known for a long time that lives over here and he's so happy with how things are cleaned up. He's volunteering himself.  My new friend Miss Ernestine has been out here everyday. Loving and inspiring, those around here and me. She's love in the flesh. She calls me "baby". She inspires me. And I hope one day to walk with her into church. 

This has been one of the best experiences of my life. Tomorrow is the last day and I have so much to write. 

I'll tell you, all my days, I'm thankful to be chosen by love. 

This girl, right here, she's the one God loves.

He told them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. Luke 10:27

Look at this school


Comments